Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Offer to God a Sacrifice of Praise


Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice (an official sacrifice prescribed by God; hence an offering the Lord accepts because offered on His terms. #2378 Greek)   of praise (a thank-offering, (A. V. 'sacrifice of praise'), presented to God for some benefit received #133)    —the fruit(praises, which are presented to God as a thank-offering #2590)  of lips that confess (agree ("confess"); to profess (confess) because in full agreement; to align with (endorse).#3670)   his name (the manifestation or revelation of someone's character, i.e. as distinguishing them from all others. Thus "praying in the name of Christ" means to pray as directed (authorized) by Him, bringing revelation that flows out of being in His presence. "Praying in Jesus' name" therefore is not a "religious formula" just to end prayers (or get what we want)! #3686) (NIV with Greek word studies added in)

Hebrews 13:15
Through Him, therefore, let us constantly and at all times offer up to God a sacrifice of praise, which is the fruit of lips that thankfully acknowledge and confess and glorify His name. (Amplified)

By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. (King James)

I find myself looking at the words – constantly and continually.
One definition of constantly is - Continually occurring; persistent.
One definition of continually is - Recurring regularly or frequently

So I am seeing that our (my) ‘sacrifice of praise’ should be frequent and persistent (Refusing to give up or let go; persevering obstinately)
And since it is ‘the fruit of our lips’ I should be audible with my praise and in the Greek praise is a thank-offering. I confess His name which means I need a revelation of His Name(s) so I can know His character.

So let me put Hebrews 13:15 in Christena’s version for my life today.

In Jesus’ Name, I, Christena, will not let anything keep me from offering up praises with my mouth to the Lord. I will open my mouth and speak of His greatness.  I say He is the Lord of my life!
No matter what I may be going through – be it a daughter that has walked away from her family; loss of a close friend; an unexpected bill; a lie spoken about me; a negative report from a doctor – or things that are positive – a prodigal returns; a new friend is made; the bill is covered; truth prevails; body is healed ------
I will give praise, I will give thanks through all of this, knowing He is my Yahweh Jireh (God will provide); Yahweh Shalom (Lord of peace); Jehovah Rapha (Healer) – and the list goes on.

It took me awhile to realize the power of praise and thanksgiving. Once you get a revelation of  who God is you begin to praise and thank Him constantly and at all times because you know His Word is Truth, God does not lie.

I challenge you to get your Bible out and begin to do a study on the names of God. Use biblos.com or biblegateway.com to help you look up the Greek or Hebrew meanings of His Name.

As you do this, begin to praise and thank Him for being your Healer, Peace, Provider…..you will find yourself going through your day and your spirit will recognize a Name of God you have learned and out of your mouth will come  --  I thank and praise You Father, I needed peace and You are Yahweh Shalom!
Don’t feel intimidated with the Greek or Hebrew pronunciation , praise Him in your language-tell Him how awesome He is and that He is the Lord of your life, He is your Healer, Provider, Redeemer, Father and Protector.  Give Him a sacrifice of praise for the strength He gives you to get through each day; for the hope you have in your prodigal returning; for the promise of healing and how our body is obeying it’s maker right now and all sickness is leaving; for being the peace that you needed in a time of test and trail.

If you have been having trouble in this area, ask yourself – am I really walking with the Lord or am I  saying….well, I went to church today, now it’s up to God to blah blah blah so I’ll just kick back this week and watch some tv, play some games, check out my neighbors wife/husband…….God expects us to know Him and obey Him, He is not Santa Claus or a magical fairy.

So if you are tired of being in the same place day in and day out – if you are doing the same thing over and over don’t expect different results – you either believe or you don’t and if you believe, you WILL hunger and thirst after God, your desire will be to know Him and then you begin to desire to change, as you change you see His Word is true and you seek more from His Word -  then you begin to live in joy and peace, even when those times of trials knock on your door, you find you stand tall in the armor of God and know the victory is yours through Jesus Christ.

For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.
Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Psalm 27:5-6

Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.
Know that the Lord is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.
Psalm 100


No comments:

Post a Comment